Archives of old projects

Our SCCA MGA at Osceola, in the "Good Old Days", 1969.

Another shot from the archives, of the MGA at Osceola, exiting the right-hander, 1969.

One last shot of the MGA in the paddock at Osceola, 1969.

Morris Monster #1 sitting on the pad outside the shop right before its first race, 1973.

The first Morris Monster was built to run in the 1000 c.c. stock class at Florida City Speedway during the winter of 1972-1973. The rules required a stock motor, but allowed any one barrel carburetor. An intake manifold from an Austin America was ported and fitted with a MGA Twincam 1.75" SU to provide the go pissick. The success of this car encouraged us to move up to the 1600 c.c. modified class the following year.

Morris Monster #1 copped the "Firecracker 50" at Florida City Speedway, July 4, 1973. Ed Oberlies photo.

Morris Monster #2 sitting on the pad outside the garage, 1975.

Morris Monster #2 started life as a Morris Minor 1000 Sedan. The original frame was retained, but the car was lowered six inches and the front suspension and brakes from an MGB were added. At the back, an MGB rear axle was used with MGB drum brakes. A bored and stroked MGA engine, with a Weber 45DCOE carburetor, and camshaft from Crane Cams, provided the power. An MGA Twincam transmission completed the package. The car was sponsored by European Auto Parts out of Miami, and the car debuted at the World Mini-Stock Championships at Virginia Raceway at Saluda, Virginia, April 12, 1975. We finished 13th in the feature race, which was run in the rain.

A typical grid of Mini Stocks at Saluda.

Morris Monster #2 raced at Old Dominion Speedway, Beltsville Speedway, and Virgina Raceway at Saluda.

Morris Monster #2 at Saluda, next on the track for a qualification time.

Our buddy Eddie Owings works on the driveshaft of the Volvo at Saluda.

After campaigning Morris Monster #2 for a season, and towing a trailer behind our Ford Fairlane station wagon, we decided to build a transporter. We started with a 1972 Ford Econoline Window Van that we purchased for $200. The van had sustained heavy body damage in the rear, but was otherwise in good shape.

The Econoline Van the day we brought it home.

The first step was to remove the back section of the body and clean up the frame. We put a cut-off blade in a circular saw to cut away the body behind the drivers compartment, and a acetelyne torch to carefully cut away the floor pan, creating a frame out of the unibody construction.

The crashed part was cut away, and a frame was created by careful removal of the unibody floor pan.

The final step was to add ramps to the back and side panels. Twin fuel tanks were also added to cope with the gas crisis of the mid-1970's.

The last step was to add the ramps. The side panels were made of plywood and painted Morris Monster blue.

All done! Morris Monster #2 sitting on the transporter, ready for Old Dominion Speedway, 1976.

The crew at Old Dominion Speedway. Alister, Joan, Mark, and Nancy, 1976.

Morris Monster #2 on the banking at Beltsville Speedway, circa. 1978. (Photo by Robert J. Leonard)

Ed Esser in the "Kendall Radiator Special" after a feature win at Hialeah Speedway. The Ford Cortina was a leader in the modified class .

Dana Barlow poses for a picture after a feature win at Hialeah Speedway. The Renault Dauphine was powered by a 1600 CC Renault Hemi.

The MGA Twincam after restoration. November, 1993.

Under the hood of the MGA Twincam. When everything is right, these are wonderful engines.

The red leather interior was redone by the original English craftsmen.

[ Vintage Garage Home Page]